Smart locks that work with Google Home enable you to use your voice to control your door, without any setup.
You don’t even need to open your smartphone app to lock or unlock the door now.
You can just say, “OK, Google, lock the front door.” with your voice!
Today, we will share a detailed introduction on Google Home and Google Assistant first.
If you just want to find the best smart locks compatible with Google Home, you can simply skip to Part 2 to get top 6 picks.
Table of Contents:
Part 1. Background of Google Home and Google Assistant
Google Home is the brand name of a series of smart speakers made by Google.
Now Google Home has 3 smart speaker products including Google Home, Google Home Mini, and Google Home Max.
The 3 Google Home smart speakers will always listen to the environment so that they can get your verbal orders when you need them.
Google Assistant is Google’s voice-activated virtual assistant, just like Apple’s Siri.
The Google Home smart speakers just act like the vehicle of Google Assistant.
Google Home smart speakers need Google Assistant to function, while Google Assistant can also be used in other wide range of smart devices, like smart doorbells, security cameras, etc.
You can use the Google Home demands to ask help from your virtual helper (Google Assistant), such as, “Hey Google,” “OK Google.”
These wakeup words work like wonders, enabling you to control your door, play music, turn on/off the smart bulbs, etc. just with your voice.
Part 2. Top 6 Smart Locks That Work with Google Home
What smart locks work with Google Home/Assistant?
You can simply check the top 6 Google Home smart lock options in the table below.
Under the table, we have provided a detailed introduction on each smart lock.
6 Best Smart Door Locks That Work with Google Home/Assistant
Pick 1. Nest X Yale Lock That Is Compatible with Google Home/Assistant
- Secure and Tamper Proof: Replaces the deadbolt you already have. If someone tries to tamper with it, you'll get an alert. If the batteries start running low, you'll know right away. And if your lock loses power, you can quickly charge it with a 9V battery to unlock the door.
- Let Someone In From Anywhere: Unlock your door from your Nest app. Create passcodes for family, guests and people you trust. Get alerts whenever someone unlocks and locks the door. And when Nest knows you’re away, your door can lock automatically.
- Works with Google Assistant: Check the status of your door and lock it from anywhere hands‑free with the Google Assistant. You can also enter a passcode, use one‑touch locking, or lock it from the Nest app.
- Touchscreen Keypad: No phone? No problem. Unlock your Nest x Yale Lock by entering your passcode on the touchscreen keypad. Create passcodes for people you trust.
The Nest X Yale Lock is one of the best smart locks to use with Google Home.
Nest works seamlessly with any Google products since Google owns Nest.
With Nest being the bridge, Yale lock is compatible with Google Home smart speakers, Google Home Hub perfectly.
Yale lock is a secure and tamper-proof smart lock type. You don’t need any mechanical key to unlock the door.
With Yale Lock and Nest, you can lock or unlock the door with your Nest App, schedule guest access and get a history of who locked and unlocked the door.
This smart door can even automatically lock itself!
You can control your Nest X Yale lock with your voice with Google Home, or ask Google Home the status of your front door to see if it’s closed.
You can check the video below to see how to install and configure your Yale lock with Nest App.
Nest X Yale Lock & Google Home Voice Commands
You can lock your door with the order: OK, Google, lock the front door!
Your front door will be locked and Google Home will respond to you with “The front door is already locked!“, or “You got it, locking the front door…the front door has been locked.”
If you want to check the status of your front door, you can say: OK, Google, is my front door locked?
Your Google will check if your door is closed and will say, “The front door is locked.” or “The front door is unlocked.”
Pick 2. Yale Security YRD226-CBA-0BP Smart Lock Connected by August with Google Home
- Replaces your existing deadbolt with a touchscreen smart lock so you can lock and unlock your door without the hassle of keys
- Lock, unlock, share access, customize lock settings and see who comes and goes from anywhere using the August app
- Unlocks automatically as you approach the door when you have your phone - When you don't have your phone, enter your entry code on the backlit keypad.Adjustable latch
- Works with Alexa, Google Assistant, Apple Home Kit (Siri), Simplisafe, Airbnb, Home Away and more
- Includes the August Connect Wi-Fi Bridge so there's no additional hubs needed. Also includes Door Sense, a sensor to tell you if your door is opened or closed.
After you have inserted the August Module into the Yale Security YRD226-CBA-0BP smart lock, and plugged the August Connect to the outlet, you can lock or unlock the door, or track the lock status with August App wherever you are.
This smart lock works with Google Assistant so that you can lock or unlock the door with your voice without even launching the August App.
Besides Google Home, August X Yale smart lock also works with Amazon Alexa and Apple HomeKit (Siri).
It can automatically unlock with the Bluetooth technology. Even without your phone, you can also enter the password to unlock your door.
Showdown: Bluetooth Smart Lock Complete Guide
You can watch the video below to get more smart features and other conveniences you can get from this smart door lock that works with Google Home.
Pick 3. August Door Smart Lock Pro + Connect for Google Home
- Works with Alexa for voice control (Alexa device sold separately) ; Requires 110 to 240 Volts
- Control and monitor your door from anywhere. Lock and unlock your door, control keyless access and keep track of who comes and goes, all from your phone
- Be sure you’re secure with Door Sense. Only August has Door Sense to tell you if your door is securely closed and locked
- Always know who is coming and going. Track activity at your doorstep with a 24/7 Activity Feed and requires iOS (9.0 or higher) or Android (5.0 or higher) smartphones
- Keep your existing lock and keys. Easily attaches to your existing deadbolt; use your existing keys at anytime
You can turn your front door into a smart home with August Smart Lock Pro + Connect — one of the best GH compatible smart locks.
You can control your door or confirm if your door is closed with this Google Home compatible smart lock via your voice.
This smart lock works with most single-cylinder deadbolts, so you can still keep your existing hardware and keys.
The Google Home commands are similar to the above.
You can simply say “OK, Google, lock my front door.” to close your door, or say “OK, Google, is my front door locked?” to check the status of your door.
For more details about this smart lock for Google Home, you can check the video below.
Pick 4. Schlage Sense Smart Deadbolt with Wi-Fi adapter That Is Compatible with Google Home
- Works with Schlage Sense app for Android smartphones, iPhone, iPad, iPod touch
- Guaranteed to fit on standard pre-drilled doors
- Battery-operated with low battery warning
- Works with Schlage sense smart deadbolt only
- Comes with the same Type of encryption used in many online purchases
Schlage Sense Smart lock is fully compatible with Google Home smart speakers so that you can control your door simply with some wakeup words.
To use Google Assistant, you’ll need the Schlage WiFi adapter.
After you have installed the WiFi adapter, you can remotely access your smart lock with the Schlage Sense App, as well as voice assistant compatibility.
You can ask Google to control your Schlage Sense smart lock by saying, “OK, Google, lock my door.”, or “OK, Google, is my door locked?”.
Currently, you cannot unlock your door with Google Home/Assistant.
For more smart features about this smart lock, view the following video.
Pick 5. Kwikset 99540-001 Keyless Smart Lock for Google Home
- Sleek, low-profile design with a glass-like surface that has patented SecureScreen technology to help prevent code detection from fingerprints on the touchscreen
- Does not work via zigbee or amazon key, and is incompatible with xfinity; User Codes - Up to 30 customizable user codes for increased security
- Works with Alexa for voice control (hub required, Alexa device and hub are sold separately)
- Expand your security system solution with home connect technology, your obsidian keyless entry lock will now communicate wirelessly to security and home automation systems via Z-Wave Plus
- Enter your home with user codes instead of having to carry keys and when the batteries are low you'll be notified with an audible beep and visual flash
Kwikset 99540-001 smart deadbolt works with Google Home or Google Assistant to enable you to control or monitor the lock with your voice.
To use the smart home function, you’ll need a Z-Wave hub like Samsung’s SmartThings Hub.
With the hub being the bridge, you can use your voice to control the smart lock in a 100% hands-free way!
The sleek and low-profile design makes this front door smart lock fit your home décor in every way.
Pick 6. CANDY HOUSE Sesame Smart Lock That Works with Google Home
- NEW AND IMPROVED: Sesame 2.0 includes a built-in adjustable gripper and stronger motor. No more fumbling with detachable adjuster! And with the new motor, Sesame can now handle hard-to-turn locks.
- SHARE ACCESS: Lock and unlock your door with your phone, and let your friends do so as well! No more keys under mats - let friends and family have access during approved times.
- VIEW HISTORY LOG: Know who’s been locking and unlocking your door - every action taken by Sesame is logged in your app, so you can keep tabs on who’s been in and out!
- AUTO-LOCK AND AUTO-UNLOCK: Let Sesame welcome you back by auto-unlocking the door, and keep you safe by auto-locking the door behind you.
- INSTALLS IN SECONDS: Simply install Sesame over your existing deadbolt lock and suddenly you have a smart lock. No tools, no handyman, no hassle.
CANDY HOUSE Sesame smart lock enables you to lock or unlock your door with your phone — no more keys needed.
With the WiFi Access Point, you can even ask Google to lock your door!
Sesame smart lock can be installed over your existing door lock within several minutes. You can still keep your existing lock.
You can even add your guests or friends to your app and they can use their smartphones to lock or unlock your door!
If you want to check who’s been locking and unlocking your Sesame lock, you can simply check the history on your phone on the CANDY HOUSE dashboard.