Smart locks are a kind of advanced locks that enables you to open and close your door easily without any keys needed.
Buy putting a smart lock for your front door, you can lock and unlock the door easily with a tap on your phone, or a touch of the door and give your visitors keyless access.
If you are looking for the best smart locks for your front door, you can skip to Part 3 directly to get the best recommendations.
If you want to know the smart lock types in the current market, and what things to note when buying the best smart locks for your front door, you can view the details in Part 1 and Part 2 below.
Part 1. Main Types of Front Door Smart Locks
There are 5 main types of front door smart locks currently, including:
1. Bluetooth smart locks: This type of smart locks can sense you when you are within the range of the smart lock’s sensing range, and the door will unlock automatically.
You can even tap the lock to open the Bluetooth smart lock, like the Ultraloq smart lock.
2. WiFi-enabled smart lock: By connecting to your home router, this kind of smart lock can provide you the tracking statistics of who comes and goes to your property.
You can lock and unlock super easily with a tap on your smartphone wherever you are.
3. Fingerprint smart locks: By adding such a smart lock to your front door, you can open the door with your fingerprint to enjoy keyless entrances.
You can input your family members’ fingerprints to the smart lock. Thus anyone with the registered fingerprint can unlock the door.
If you own a business, and only want to authorize some of employees to access the “sensitive” areas. This type of smart locks is a nice fit!
4. Keypad smart locks: You’ll need to input a pin number to unlock the door. You can set up different pin numbers for different people, and change the codes at any time.
5. RFID smart locks: You’ll need a key fob or a card to unlock the door. This type of locks is most often used at work sites.
The employees would use the card to touch the card-reading sensor, and then the door will open at once.
Some RFID smart locks enable you to use a key fob to open the door remotely (in a certain distance).
Nowadays, most smart locks for home front doors are either WiFi-enabled or Bluetooth types, for their versatility and compatibility with other smart home devices.
In the next part, we will focus on what things you’ll need to know when buying the 2 most popular smart locks for your front door, so that you can get the best one within just 5 minutes.
Part 2. Top 3 Things to Note for Buying Smart Locks for Front Door
For a quick pick on front door smart lock, you can just check the below 3 important aspects when browsing the product pages.
1. Check the Compatibility of the Smart Lock for Your Front Door
For your future expansion to build a smart home, pick a smart lock that is compatible with third-party smart devices.
Tip 1. Check if the smart lock can work with other brands’ smart devices, like smart doorbells, security cameras, thermostats, etc.
Tip 2. Confirm if the front door smart lock is compatible with Amazon Alexa, Google Nest, or Apple HomeKit.
2. Read the Reviews from the Previous Customers on the Smart Locks
Many customers would leave their feedbacks on the Amazon product page after using it for a certain time.
You can read the feedbacks of the customers, especially the negative reviews to see if the product can work as it states.
3. Check the Ratings from Top-Tier Media on the Smart Lock Sets
Editors from top-tier media would review the smart locks and share their experience.
Normally they would provide a detailed description of the smart locks, including how to install and use it, the flexibility part, etc.
In order to save your time, we have provided 2 smart lock recommendations for your front door.
Part 3. Best Smart Lock Recommendations for Your Front Door
Is there a general consensus on which smart lock to buy?
We have read a lot of smart lock reviews from top-tier media, and have looked through customers’ feedbacks on Amazon, and finally we would love to recommend the below 2 smart locks for your front door so that you can enjoy the most versatile and flexible smart locks.
1. August WiFi-Enabled Smart Lock for Your Front Door
This DIY August smart lock enables you to install it within 10 minutes with just a screwdriver.
You can lock and unlock the door with your phone without any keys needed. The smart lock will unlock automatically when you approach your home with your phone in your pocket.
The smart lock is able to work in harmony with Alexa, Google Assistant, HomeKit (Siri), Z-wave, SmartThings and other partners.
You can watch the video below to enjoy more details of this front door smart lock.
2. Ultraloq UL3 Bluetooth Smart Lock
Bluetooth Ultraloq UL3 smart lock is rated as world’s first 5-in-1 keyless smart lock, including fingerprint, PIN number, smartphone, knock/shake to open and mechanical key.
In other words, you can use almost every method that you have in mind to open your door.
With the dainty design, this smart lock can fit your home decor perfectly without visual intrusion.